Authentically Britney


I went to the Britney Spears concert last night. (Photos and videos to follow on FB soon!)It was a spectacular show as expected and fun to let go and just dance. She showed up with amazing stage work, dancers, and all the spectacle one could expect at the circus. Britney didn't really sing much live, but that wasn't expected (and frankly preferred as she is no Celine or Beyonce.) The experience did make me think. Because of the intense media scrutiny of Britney's career rise and fall and rise again, we all have figured out that she isn't quite the sexy sassy vixen that she plays on stage, in real life. Despite the Cavalli, Jimmy Choo's and extensive hair extensions, she is still a home grown country girl with problems like the rest of us, maybe even more dramatic.

My point here is that, as a professional speaker, I feel like I need to live the message I teach or at least admit my shortcomings. Perhaps the entertainment world is different, but since Britney doesn't sing very much and is clearly playing a role, I couldn't help but wonder...does she feel like a fraud?

She say's she's "a put on a show, kinda girl." So maybe its all a show. Maybe we all put on a show. Do you? What show do you put on for the people around you? For yourself? How can you be more authentic, truly you?

Despite the grandeur of the show, my favorite moment was one of true authenticity. Britney's two sons were brought out to the side of the stage to watch her perform "Everytime", a pretty and classy song. When she saw them, she lit up and waved with a huge smile. At the end of the song, when the lights went down, she ran over and gave them both a kiss. The boys were swept away as to not see the remaining PG 13 portions of the concert. But that was real. It was a mom at work taking a moment to give her kids a kiss.

Take off the masks, the costumes and accents, and just be you for a moment today. ENJOY!

1 comments:

LM said...

This blog really hit home for me! There are alot of people through out my life that have hurt me or I haven't been able to see eye to eye with. After I read this, I wonder, is that person just putting on a show? Could we have actually had a meaningful relationship? We shouldn't judge people right away because you never know it could just be an act!!

LM

Post a Comment

Did this blog make you think? Tell me about it!