A good reminder...

I've been asked to be the main speaker for UCF Orientation's Keys to College Success presentation. This 90 minute session is fun, funny and informational and as I've been putting it together, the lessons I've been teaching students have been good reminders for myself.


College is a time that can be truly life changing. It changed my life. Not because of the classes, the tests, or even the diploma. It was about the people that I met. My network. No, not the 5 people I can call for free, nor the hundreds of people on facebook or myspace that I can poke or message or cyberstalk at will. Its the true friendships, mentorships, the real relationships that really changed my life.


An advisor who told me to get involved, the friends with whom I took my first roadtrip, the roommate who taugh me of my appreciate for privacy and space, the girlfriend who first broke my heart, the professor who help me change my major, the admistrator who nominated me for an award. All of these people are what my college experience was all about.


This is what life is all about: people. Think about your relationships, friendships, mentorships and even those you're not a fan of. Its these people who shape your experience.


And now as I am in a postion to teach, inspire and mentor others, I take it very seriously, but with a smile and sense of humor.


You have the same role with everyone you meet, so I ask you, what impact can you have on someone today?

1 comments:

Libby said...

Its funny- I don't see "that girl who passed out in my dorm...'

hahaha

Post a Comment

Did this blog make you think? Tell me about it!