I'm worth what?

Recently, my facebook and myspace accounts have been blown up with people trying to "buy" me with virtual money and advertising how much they are worth. "I'm worth $5640, How much are your worth?"

As far as I knew the practice of "buying" another human being has been out of style for quite a while in this country. Secondly, I couldn't help but think... what am I worth?

I have a house, with a mortgage, a car with a loan, a bank account, some clothes, student loans... in financial terms, like most Americans, I have negative value. My credit score is desirable based on the number of credit card offers I get in the mail each day to further grow the value of my negative worth, but is that really what I'm worth?

Is there a value for potential? Is the dollar really the measure of a man or woman? I think not. Yet, we have devised a game online that demarcates our social standing by what people are willing to pay for us. Its bad enough that I may or may not be in your Top 12 or "best Friends" Circle, or even your 5 speed dial buttons, but now you get to put a cash value on me? I think not.

To all those trying to buy me and sell themselves to me (a whole different topic for Dateline NBC), I say try not, buy not. You simply can't afford me. I'm priceless.

What are you worth?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Did this blog make you think? Tell me about it!